Internship Instructions 2019
Congratulations on your acceptance to the summer internship program. We look forward to meeting you soon. Please watch your email for more announcements and instructions as we approach the first day on June 20, 2019.
Since you will be an MSU employee for the summer, there are a number of human resource/payroll forms that you will need to complete. Please get started on this right away.
Open Office Hours
We will be offering open office hours on May 22, 23, 29, and 30 from 3-6 p.m. at MSU St. Andrews (1910 W. St. Andrews Rd., Midland). All students should plan to attend one of these sessions in order to drop off your signed forms. We will also be taking ID photos and completing other administrative tasks in order to have the hiring process complete before your first day.
Forms to Complete in Advance
1. New Employee Data Sheet
Complete this online form and follow the instructions. This must be completed by May 15.
2. I-9 Form
Complete Section One of the I-9 form before attending an open office hours session.
- Click on Section 1 (to be completed by an employee) under “Access to Electric I-9 system”
- Enter text from image to enter Electric I-9 system
- Fill out all information and press continue. Please note: location is 40001003 and employment date is June 20, 2019
- Check the box to electronically sign the I-9 and press continue
Section 2 of your I-9 will be completed when you attend an open office hours session. Please bring any ID used to fill out I9 as well as your social security card AND a valid photo ID such as a driver’s license or school ID (photocopies are not accepted). If you do not have the original documents, you must apply for new ones right away. If you have any questions on types of verification, please refer to this list of acceptable documents.
Forms to Bring to the Open Office Hours
The following forms must be printed and signed. They must be signed by a parent or guardian if you are under age 18, then brought with you to the open office hours:
- Consent Form
- Media Release Form
- Medical Treatment Form
- Minors in Labs
- Commuter Form
- Background Investigation Form (all new employees must complete a background check)
- Youth program handbook, all parents and participants should read and review (nothing to sign or turn in).
Frequently Asked Questions
- The program runs from June 20 through August 16, 2019.
- Interns do not have to report on July 4 or 5 during the holiday.
- Rate of pay is $11.50 per hour @ 40 hours per week. You will not be paid for any time missed.
- You will be paid bi-weekly via direct deposit. If you do not have a bank account, please enroll for one before your first day.
- Work hours will be 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a lunch hour and two breaks. You are free to leave for lunch or there is also a break area with refrigerator and microwave.
- For attire, please wear long pants (jeans are fine) as well as shoes that cover your feet (no sandals). No holes allowed in clothing.
- Safety glasses and other safety equipment will be provided. Use is mandatory during any lab work. The Employee Data Sheet will allow you to request a lab coat size.
- Computers will be provided for students in the Programming project. Other students may bring their own laptop or request to borrow one on the Employee Data Sheet.
Please contact Melanie Kauffman at (517) 432-4499 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for further information.
Michigan State University is committed to providing equal opportunity for participation in all programs, services and activities without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, political persuasion, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, height, weight, veteran status, age or familial status. Accommodation for persons with disabilities may be requested by contacting Melanie Kauffman (517) 432-4499 within two weeks of any event. Requests received after this date will be honored whenever possible.